I wrote Something Less in 2007/08. Unlike What Is Small and Round, for example, this was a song a labored over for quite a while. I had probably 80% of it written, and I would play it obsessively myself. When I decided it needed to be finished, I forced myself through the remaining 20%. At that point, I arrived at the above version, which is the earliest recording I have of it (from a rehearsal).
Since then I’ve played the song many times with many different people, and the form remained the same until I brought it into the studio in 2011. In addition to an added coda and some new bass lines, I also took a new approach to the recording of it.
I will be posting more versions of this in the future, but in the meantime check out this rehearsal take from early 2008. Something Less in it’s most original form.